In the rural south, children often fall behind in the summer. Lack of enriching activities, lack of food security, and lack of brain stimulating joy often send them to school in September behind their peers. Our goal is to send them back enriched, engaged and raring to go - with both academic gains and social-emotional skills that the arts can provide better than any "sit and learn" class.
Summer 2019 might seem like a long, long way away, but if you know any talented and passionate young adults with gifts in music/dance/theater/art looking for a fun and meaningful paid internship, jump over and join the RICH Learning International* Facebook Group and follow what we're doing this year in the rural south.
Here's a recap of the first week of RICH Learning and our staff training in Salters, South Carolina:
Highlights of our first week included:
1. Wonderful, funderful children picking up the singing, signing, dancing and spelling very quickly
2. Very kind and gracious southern hospitality from Pastor Greg Van Dyke and his host homes – the Jetts and the Carlsons
3. Director Sky Noblezada did a fantastic job (under challenging conditions)
5. We are all learning a lot… fast!
1. Arriving and finding our lodging site with no water, no septic, no electricity, no beds!
2. Luggage falling off the roof of the car
3. Half of the teachers sick with food poisoning on Thursday!
4. The sanctuary may or may not be our large group space next week. It’s a challenging space to corral the kids… and keep the senior pastor happy.
Our teachers are exhausted, of course, so we’ll recoup over the weekend and figure out how to make things more efficient and effective next week.
If you know of people in the Charlestown/Georgetown/Myrtle Beach area who might enjoy a rocking show this coming Friday night, or who might like an internship next summer. send them over to Jerusalem UMC in Salters, SC, at 6:30 to meet our cast and crew and enjoy the rich song, dance, theater and fun by the little children.
*Carolina 2018 is sponsored by the South Carolina Synod-ELCA, Jerusalem UMC (Salters) and Simson UMC (Allendale), and RICH Learning International, a MN 501c3 dedicated to enriching the lives of the littlest of the little and the poorest of the poor.